I choose what my son watches based on whether or not I like it.
So far, Daniel Tiger and Sesame Street are the only two TV shows that have made the cut. Daniel Tiger is great; it is a show chock full of great lessons in compassion, consideration, friendship, and patience. It got me through the first thirteen weeks of my second pregnancy. It continues to get me through a morning shower. I am forever indebted to Daniel Tiger for these reasons.
I hate to say it, but there are some loose ends to tie up in regards to the show that I value so much.
In fact, I have at least 20 lingering questions looming after watching nearly every episode…Ok: every episode of Daniel Tiger.
- Why does Daniel Tiger wear pants to bed, and only wears a sweater around town? Why does he need pants in bed and not in public?
- On that note, why does Mom Tiger wear a scrub shirt and pants, and her husband and son only wear a sweater?
- Margaret Tiger always has her bum covered as well. Will she go pant-less when she is toilet trained?
- Do Lady Elaine, Music Man Stan, and Miss Elena every get sick living in the museum-go-round?
- Why, oh WHY does Henrietta Pussycat sound so strung out? ALL. THE. TIME.
- Why does every sentence that Henrietta and Katarina speak end with ‘meow meow?” Daniel doesn’t roar unless he needs something, so why do they have to remind us they are cats ALL THE TIME?
- Why isn’t Prince Wednesday homeschooled? Shouldn’t he have a security detail?
- Why can’t teacher Harriet and Doctor Anna have husbands? Or Mr. McFeely and Baker Aker have wives?
- What happened to O’s parents? Why does he live with his Uncle X?
- Are Uncle X and Henrietta Pussycat an item? Or is the treehouse supposed to be more like an apartment complex? Also, why do Uncle X and Henrietta Pussycat have to pick up their kids (or guardians)? Can’t they just send them out the door?
- Where does Baker Aiker live? What about Doctor Anna? Or even teacher Harriet? Mr. McFeely? Are we protecting their residences, or do they just live in their places of employment?
- Why does Prince Tuesday have so many jobs around the neighborhood? He’s a prince, right? Wasn’t he born into money?
- Who are Prince Tuesday’s friends?
- What exactly does King Friday do as a King other than boss everyone around?
- Is Mom Tiger a stay-at-home mom? What about Henrietta Pussycat? How can Henrietta pay rent if she doesn’t work or have a husband who works?
- Why does O the owl wear shoes? And why is he up during the day?
- Why does the tiger family always eat vegetable soup? They’re tigers, for pity’s sake. Give that family some protein.
- Is Miss Elena’s first name “Miss?”
- Why doesn’t the class pet walk and talk like the other animal students? I think Snowball probably has a lot to say.
- Why is trolley always at the Tiger family home? I’m sure the other residents in the town of make believe have places to be as well.
I suppose my next question is–why do I care to have all twenty of these questions resolved so much??